Thursday, September 13, 2012

Biking highs and low

I spent the month of August training for Climate Ride, which I just finished.  So I'm taking today to tell you about some of my training rides.  My old Bianchi Boardwalk was not going to cut it for this ride, so I upgraded to a Surly Long-haul Trucker.  This is a fabulous bike!  One of my fellow Climate Riders called it the Cadillac of bikes and I can't argue with that statement.

I road 938.48 miles since July 28 (the day I bought Scottie 1, my new bike).  One weekend training ride my friend Jessica and I rode down to Half Moon Bay.  There and back is 87 miles, but the real training came on the return when we took a wrong turn and accidentally climbed a mountain.  8 miles to get up 1700 ft!  O.k. we walked it (technically it was a mountain bike trail and we were not on mountain bikes).  But still, my bike was fully loaded with camping gear, so this was quite a work out. 

But the entire route was quite beautiful.

First, we stopped in Pacifica for a snack after climbing the hills of Daly City!

IMG_0317

Pacifica has a nice trail system.
IMG_0318

IMG_0320

Old Highway 1 -- now a mountain bike trail. But you can either walk this or ride over what they call the Devil's Slide on Highway 1!
IMG_0322

IMG_0323

IMG_0326

Coffee break in Half Moon Bay...

IMG_0329

IMG_0331

Still smiling despite climbing a mountain!
IMG_0332

On Labor Day we rode to Tiburon to Paradise Loop. A very pleasant 40 mile ride.

IMG_0334

And then Scottie 1 was stolen. (That would be the low in the title.) I had it cable locked outside of the Ferry Building on a very busy day, and yet someone came up and cleanly cut the cable. So I went back to the bike shop and bought Scottie 2. I just felt that I had invested so much time in training, I had to go to the bike ride. But more on that later....


No comments:

Post a Comment