Friday, July 26, 2013

Healdsburg to Bodega

An adventurous friend (do I have any other kind) and I headed up to Sonoma to bike over Memorial Day weekend. Having had difficulties biking to Sonoma from SF in the past (serious highway travel!), my friend offered to rent a car and drive us to Healdsburg.  Not only did this mean we'd miss some major holiday traffic, but it also meant we'd be surrounded by lovely scenery over the course of the entire bike ride.

So we took our adorable little rental car and abandoned it in Healdsburg for the weekend.  That made me a little nervous about it being towed, but it was there when we returned on Monday. The route we followed can be found here.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the beautiful thing about biking in CA is that you don't need campground reservations!  You can just show up, pay between $5 and $7 for each person, and set up your tent in the Hike and Bike section of the campground.  Being a holiday weekend, this ease in finding space without a reservation did not escape our wonderment!

And although we were slugging our equipment on our bikes, we still called this camping trip a "glamping" trip, mainly because we had hot chocolate from soy milk and real chocolate our second night (remember, this is Northern California, and it was quite cold).

But since we were slugging our equipment, I did not bring my "good" camera.  So the photos were taken with a point and shoot.  Even though I have a very nice point and shoot it is still frustrating to use because I don't have as much control.  I hate that.

Anyway, I think I got some nice shots. It helps that it was such a beautiful weekend!

My friend borrowed her paniers from a coworker and it took a bit of trial and error to get them on right.

IMG_0434

But then we were off...

IMG_0435

IMG_0439

IMG_0452

IMG_0453

IMG_0459

IMG_0461

IMG_0473

IMG_0474

IMG_0479

IMG_0490

IMG_0498

Always...
IMG_0503

Wild Flour Bakery is amazing! This is one of the murals inside...
IMG_0505

IMG_0515

IMG_0530

IMG_0533

IMG_0540

IMG_0541

IMG_0553

IMG_0560

IMG_0571

IMG_0562

All bike rides should end with a lovely cupcake...
IMG_0578

And this is California, so all ingredients should be local...
IMG_0584

No comments:

Post a Comment