Thursday, July 22, 2010

To chain, or not to Chain...

India has changed quite a bit from my first visit in 1997. In 1997 there were no Western chains! It is hard to believe that now, when I live and work next to a mall that is basically a temple to the Western way of life. Our little food court has all the places I never go to in the States: McDonalds, Dominoes, Subway. And not just American chains, we have a Marks and Spencer in the mall too (I just saw the sign, but I’ve been told it doesn’t have the awesome food shop that they have in England). I sort of miss the India of 1997.

This afternoon I am supposed to go see a few apartments. I’m hoping to find a place relatively quickly, but I checked on Craig’s List and there aren’t a lot of options where the new office will be. Oh yeah, they have Craig’s List in India – that is new too.

Of course, I’m enjoying the good food, fresh juice, and cornucopia of colors here. The traffic is just as bad as always, but I seemed to have immediately jumped back into the proper way to move here. The secret is to not look anyone in the eye and just go. If they think you see them they won’t stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment