Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Our National Arboretum

My family vacation this year was to DC.  Before I go any further, I apologize my DC friends that I didn't meet with, but our schedule was pretty full.  I hope to be back soon though, more on that later.

Before my family got there I took a quick trip with a couple of friends to the U.S. National Arboretum.  The Arboretum was established by Congress in 1927 with the mission "to serve the public need for scientific research, education, and gardens that conserve and showcase plants to enhance the environment."  It is a beautiful area in the middle of what can be called, a not-so-nice neighborhood of DC.  When I lived in DC I used to bike around here a lot -- it wasn't that far from my house and it offers some lovely photo opportunities.  My favorite photo spot is of the old Capital Columns.  Of course, I'm not unique in that; they are the most photographed feature of the Arboretum. The cherry blossoms bloomed early this year (meaning they missed their 100th Cherry Blossom Festival), but the azaleas were in their peak.

JOL_7702

JOL_7694

JOL_7721

JOL_7712

JOL_7719

JOL_7725

JOL_7701

JOL_7716

No comments:

Post a Comment